MBDyn is a full-featured initial-value problem solver for mechanical, aeroelastic and multidisciplinary problems. It is free software: it can be freely downloaded in source form from the web site http://www.aero.polimi.it/~mbdyn/ and used and modified according to the GNU GPL license. Users are encouraged to contribute to the project by providing feedback, suggestions, bug fixes and newmodules and features.
It allows to model:
- rigid and deformable body mechanics (lumped deformable components, beams, component synthesis elements; wide variety of constraints)
- aeroelastic analysis capabilities, with provisions for helicopter rotor dynamics, either using internally computed aerodynamic forces or connecting to external computational aerodynamics software
- hydraulic systems
- provisions for basic control blocks
- real-time simulation exploiting Linux Real-Time Application Interface (RTAI, http://www.rtai.org/)
- interface to Matlab/Simulink (MBDyn runs as a block in Simulink, talking via local/inet sockets to allow distributed simulation)
The software can be easily extended in many parts by developing run-time loadable modules to implement new elements, constitutive laws, abstract functions, drivers and more. The code is being developed to allow more and more extensibility. The project is open: feel free to jump in.
Publisher:Politecnico di Milano